Friday, April 22, 2011

Friendster et cetera

What to say about FB and the like? It can be fun. It would seem odd if it was gone. Twitter, I don't know. I did give it a try a while back, but it's kind of like the sound of one hand clapping. The whole point is to develop a network of followers who react and respond to your 140 character thoughts, right? Who has the energy to develop another network of followers? FB is enough work for me thank you very much. I tried connecting the two so that my tweets would appear as my FB updates but I couldn't get it to work, and then I didn't see the point.

I have acquaintances who have completely embraced social networking - blogs, twitter, flickr, and whatever else - and have become part of wonderful communities of people with similar interests: art, vegan cooking, knitting. It looks like fun. But I'm too much of a generalist to go in that direction myself. I keep wondering if I'm going to continue blogging, just as a way to get some work/research-related thoughts down in a semi-formal manner. Not sure where that would all lead - maybe like a tree falling in the forest.

Someone told me that Friendster still exists. Weird. And what happened to Orkut? I never figured out how to pronounce it.

1 comment:

  1. Orkut is HUGE in Brazil. And no where else. Very odd.

    ReplyDelete