So, bookmarking is like the first thing we learned to do in a browser, right? But why do we do it? At first it was a way to find a website at a later time, but when search engines improved (i.e. when Google arrived) the need to bookmark decreased because it was just so easy to feel lucky.* But what about the nifty sites that you find that you know you won't find again unless you bookmark them? If you're like me, you won't be able to find them again even if you bookmark them because your bookmarks are a disorganized mess. Craig got me hooked on Evernote, which has a good search function and for some reason I've actually been tagging the stuff I add to help me find it again.
More recently it became important for bookmarks to have a social life. I have tried this in the past - I think furl was the last thing I used - but it just didn't work for me. It always seems like a good idea, but somehow there just isn't enough benefit for me to be all social with my bookmarks. I feel like I'm being a downer with the social networking for the past couple of things. But just because they don't work for me doesn't mean they aren't THE BEST THING EVER for someone else.
*I just realized I haven't clicked on I'm Feeling Lucky in years because I always use the Google search box in my browser.
Portal reference for the win!
ReplyDeleteIndeed. And a link to The Guild. Are you a closet gamer Charlene?
ReplyDelete